Search site

Pollution Control - Nuisances

Craven District Council deals with a wide range of commercial and domestic nuisances.

Barking dog

The Council investigates complaints regarding statutory nuisances and public health matters. This includes rubbish accumulating in gardens/land, dog fouling, filthy and verminous premises, nuisance from keeping animals and birds, light pollution and dust and odour.If a situation is found to be prejudicial to health or interfering with the comfort and enjoyment of a neighbours property it would be classed as a statutory nuisance and action would be taken.

What action can be taken?

A formal notice called an abatement notice will be served on the person responsible or occupier/owner of the land/property. This notice will detail the works that are required to prevent or minimise the nuisance. If the notice is not complied with, the Council can carry out any necessary works and recover all the costs incurred in court. The person served with the notice can be also be prosecuted for non compliance with it.

If you wish to take your own legal action a leaflet, Nuisance - how to take your own action, is available to download.

word icon Nuisance - how to take your own action [219kb]

  • Picture to depict light pollutionLight Pollution

    Light Pollution

    Light Pollution is the intrusion of over bright or poorly directed lights onto neighbouring properties , e.g. an incorrectly positioned security light shining into a bedroom window.

  • Picture to depict dust and odourDust and Odour

    Dust and Odour

    Dust and Odour may constitute a statutory nuisance if it "interferes materially with the well being of the residents, i.e. affects their well being, even though it may not be prejudicial to health".