Search site

Data Protection

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you rights to access personal information the Council holds about you.

The Data Protection Act (DPA) gives individuals the right to ask organisations to provide them with any "personal data" that is held about them.   Data is defined as personal data under this Act if it either relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data, or from that data and other information which is in the possession of, or likely to come into the possession of the Data Controller, that is the Council.  Individuals have the right to know whether or not the Council holds any personal data about them and, if so, what it is.

The Council has to answer a valid request within 40 calendar days of its receipt.  In certain circumstances, the data subject has the right to prevent further processing or to order the rectification, blocking or erasure of inaccurate data and to claim compensation for damage or distress caused by a breach of the Act.

From 1 January 2005 a right of access under the Freedom of Information Act applies to all types of recorded information held by the Council regardless of the date it was created.

You can make a request for the personal data the Council holds about you by completing word icon this form (Data Subject Access Request) [259kb]

Making a request

Completed subject access requests for personal data held by the Council about yourself should be sent to the address below.  You can complete the form supplied on this page or a similar form giving the required information.   A fee of £10 and two forms of identification are required for each request made.

The Information Governance Officer
Craven District Council
1 Belle Vue Square
Broughton Road
BD23 1FJ

How we will handle requests

When a request comes in, the Council will carry out a search of all relevant records.  Information will be collected, third party references checked and summaries or copies arranged within the 40-day deadline for responding to requests.

Complaints and appeals

If you are dissatisfied after you have completed the Council's appeal procedure you can apply to the Information Commissioner, who is responsible for administering and enforcing the legislation, for a decision as to whether the Council dealt with your request in accordance with the law.

Contact details are as follows:  
     First Contact Team
     Information Commissioner's Office
     Wycliffe House
     Water Lane
     SK9 5AF      
     Website: Information Commissioner's Office