Search site

Household waste - special collections for large items

Waste Management Services provides a bulky household waste collection service for items that are too bulky for the normal refuse collection service.

We will collect a wide range of items that are too big to go in your refuse bin, such as broken and unwanted furniture, 3-piece suites, beds and kitchen appliances. In general, items which you would take with you when you move house.  We do not take any fixtures and fittings. 
See some examples of items we can and cannot collect.


Charges for domestic special collections from 1 April 2017 until 31 March 2018 are £28.00 for up to 3 items then an additional £8.00 for each additional item up to 5 items.

For example:

  • Up to 3 items: £28.00
  • 4 items: £36.00
  • 5 items: £44.00
  • Over 5 items: from £55.00 (please note this price may vary depending on the number of items)

Please note: Carpets/underlay/lino must be rolled up or cut up and placed into bags.  1 room carpet will be classed as 1 item.

Changes to what we class as 1 item
From 1 April 2016 we changed how we charge some of the larger items for disposal.  Some items which were previously treated as 1 item will now be treated as 2 or more items.  A few examples are listed below -

Bed base, Mattress, Headboard = 3 items
Dining Table and 4 chairs = 5 items
3 Piece Suite = 3 items
2 Piece Suite = 2 items

How to arrange a collection

To arrange a collection you can contact Customer Services on 01756 700600 or call in at:

  • 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton
  • Settle Library (every Friday of the month, between 2.00 - 4.00pm)

Before you contact Customer Services, please ensure you have the following information ready:

  • your full name
  • address and telephone number
  • a precise list of items for collection and their location
  • a date from when the items will be available for collection
  • your payment details (if payment by credit or debit card)

Please note:

  • We will only take items which you request us to take and these must be readily available outside, but within your property boundary, by 7.00am on the day of collection.
  • Only in exceptional circumstances will we enter private property. The resident must be present and will be asked to sign an insurance disclaimer for any accidental damage that may be caused.
  • Collections must be paid for in advance of the Council arranging the collection. Refunds will not be provided.
  • We aim to collect items within 10 working days of receiving payment.  Please note collection times may vary dependent upon the demand for the service.  Collection time will be advised at the time of booking.
  • During busier times we will not be able to add any additional items if a request is made after the original booking has been received.

How to pay for a collection

Payments can be made by the following methods:

Please note: we are no longer taking cash payments.  Cheque payments should be made payable to Craven District Council.

  • by telephone using a credit or debit card by contacting Customer Services on 01756 700600 (there is a 1.8% surcharge on credit card payments - subject to change)
  • pay by cheque, credit or debit card in person at 1 Belle Vue Square, Broughton Road, Skipton (there is a 1.8% surcharge on credit card payments - subject to change)
  • pay by cheque through the post to:

Craven District Council
Customer Services
1 Belle Vue Square
Broughton Road
North Yorkshire
BD23 1FJ

Please send cheques with your name, full address and case number on the back.. The case number will be given to you once your bulky request has been received by Customer Services.

More information

For further information regarding the bulky collection service see our FAQ or contact Customer Services on 01756 700600.

Fly tipping is illegal and dumped bulky waste items like fridges and freezers pose a real hazard to children, pets or wildlife who may become harmed or trapped inside.  Anyone found to be illegally fly tipping, could be fined up to £20,000 (unlimited if the case goes to the Crown Court) or offenders can even be sent to prison.

See some suggestions for alternative options for disposal of large items