Commercial waste collection
Commercial waste collection
Information on the Council's commercial waste collection service
Craven District Council provides a Commercial Waste collection service to over 1,000 commercial premises every week. Refuse from commercial properties is collected by the Council by contract arrangement. Charges are based upon the amount of waste produced by container size and the service can be tailored to a businesses specific requirements.
We can provide waste containers in a range of sizes to suit the needs of individual businesses. We can also provide 'Pay as you go' green refuse sacks for businesses that produce a small amount of commercial waste or where bin storage is a problem. Please see Commercial waste - trade bins for more details
What we collect
We will collect almost anything, however, there are some types of waste which require special treatment, such as asbestos, chemicals, electrical equipment and other hazardous materials. If you wish to dispose of these type of items, please contact North Yorkshire County Council for advice on disposal on 08458 727374.
How to set up a Waste Collection Service
If you would like to set up a waste collection service for your business, please contact Commercial Waste on 01756 700600 or email email@example.com
What is the cost for this service?
For full information on prices, please contact Commercial Waste on:
Tel: 01756 700600
If your business requires an additional collection to it's contracted scheduled service, a special request must be made to our Waste Management Services Helpline on 01756 700600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Duty of care
All businesses have a legal duty under the Environment Protection Act 1990 to ensure that waste is disposed of responsibly. You must make sure that all waste is stored safely and securely and prevent it from causing pollution to people or the environment.
Duty of Care regulations state that businesses must:
Keep waste packaged safely and securely
- The waste must be packed in suitable containers so that it cannot fall out, blow away or escape from the receptacle.
- You must secure the waste against unauthorised removal as far as a reasonably practical.
- Security should be sufficient to prevent the breaking open of containers and removal of waste by vandals, thieves, animals, accident or weather.
Ensure that anyone taking their waste is authorised to do so
- You must ensure that the person/registered company removing your waste is either from a local authority or a licensed waste collection company. They will be authorised to remove your waste and dispose of it safely. If you are unsure if they are a licenced collection company, ask to see a Waste Carriers Licence or check with the Environment Agency.
Waste Transfer Note
- You must provide a written description of your waste to the person who removes it. This is known as a Waste Transfer Note and must be completed by both persons involved in the transfer.
Business Waste Handbook
An updated version of the Business Waste Handbook (2nd edition) [4Mb] has been produced by Craven, in association with Leeds City Council, to help local businesses manage their waste correctly and save money. It has been estimated that waste can cost companies about 4% of turnover. The handbook contains tips on how to reduce waste and ensure that all legal obligations are met.
Frequently asked questions - Commercial Waste
- Do I have to renew my contract every year? - Yes, the contract is only valid for up to one year. A new Controlled Waste Transfer Note will be sent out before the beginning of the next financial year.
- Why do I have to pay for trade waste when I already pay business rates? - Councils are obliged to make reasonable charges for the collection and disposal of trade waste under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. The amount and type of waste generated by businesses can be very different. The charges are therefore not included in the business rating system.
- My business is producing more waste than was originally agreed in the contract, what should I do? - Please contact Waste Management on 01756 700600, to discuss alternative containers and to amend the contract.